Re: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)

To: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)
From: Bill Bereza <bereza@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 21:47:43 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 07:57:05PM -0400, Dave Massey wrote:
> Message text written by Bill Bereza
> >I recently (two weeks ago) bought a '74 TR6 (CF20293UO).
>
> Congrats.  Enjoy the car.

Thanks.

> related to that and installed his own starter button.  You can probably
> restore proper keyswitch function by splicing together the white/red and

Actually, I like the push button start. Other people have commented on how
neat that is (of course they don't know it's not original. It looks correct
the way it is.

> And you're right about the transmission probably not being original.  If
> the engine has been swapped it is most likely the transmission has too.

Yeah. I haven't had a chance to lift it yet to get a good look at the
transmission. I'll be doing some exhaust work this weekend and will look
for the OD.

> Does the idle wander or is it just too high or too low at different times?
> There is a thermo switch on the top radiator hose that controls the vacuum
> to the module on the distributor that may be acting up.

It doesn't seem to wander. It just is either too high or too low. It seems
to idle higher when cold. Is that switch on the hose itself? There is a switch
on the water pump housing, but I don't see one on the hose. I assumed
the switch on the water pump housing was for the gauge.

My brother (who has a lot more experience working on cars that I do), thinks
the thermostat may be stuck open or non-existent. After replacing the
water pump and refilling the radiator, we ran it for a while, and the
temperature never got too high, even though water seemed to be flowing
through the system as if the thermostat was open. He thinks it looked
like that. But the bolts on the thermostat housing were so stuck on, that we
didn't bother checking it that day.

> Question: When the oil gauge drops to zero at idle does the oil warning
> light come on?  If not then it is likely that the pressure gauge is reading
> low and it reads low when the pressure is actually higher (like 10,
> perhaps).

About the gauge. It never actually drops all the way to zero. It looks more
like it's a couple millimeters above zero. That's only if it's hot, and
idling below 1000rpm. At 1500 rpm idle it seems to be around 20.

About the light. Unfortunately, the light never comes on. I haven't looked
at it very much, except for trying a new bulb. I'll check it with a meter.
With the key on and engine off, it doesn't turn on. (Ignition light does.)

I guess the oil pressure switch could be bad. It's a single plug switch.
(I'll check it out with the meter too.)

> The really important thing is: is it getting any worse?  If not, don't
> worry about it.

The pressure seemed to improve after I changed the oil and filter.
It hasn't gotten any worse. I'll be watching it of course. I'll also
try harder to check for crankshaft play (checking just by pushing with
my hand and having someone press the clutch, I couldn't feel or see
any movement.)

Thanks for your help and optimistic remarks.

Bill

'74 TR6

--
Bill Bereza  bereza@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~bereza/