Re: TR Aerodynamics?

To: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>, "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR Aerodynamics?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:49:36 -0500
From: "Jeffrey J. Barteet" <barteet@barteet.com>

> Do those 'wing vents' as found on the factory works cars significantly
> reduce lift, or is that more for cooling?

Cooling, but they do help reduce lift a bit by allowing air out the side
instead of under the car.

> Does running a front spoiler down to the ground in the front help a lot?

It helps both cooling and lift.  Be careful though.  They promote high-speed
oversteer by making the front stick better.  This can be adjusted by
suspension, but if you autocross also, that becomes a problem because this
setup will understeer too much at autocross speeds.  I nice wing on the back
can address this high-speed/low-speed quandary, but I think most
vintage-race organizations might frown on that.

> C'mon Uncle Jack, what's the scoop?

Scoops are usually for cooling.   :-)

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com