new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)

To: Bill Bereza <bereza@pobox.com>
Subject: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 19:57:05 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Bill Bereza
>I recently (two weeks ago) bought a '74 TR6 (CF20293UO).

Congrats.  Enjoy the car.

>According the the commission # it should have OD, but where the OD switch
>should be, the PO installed a start button (turning the key to Start does
>nothing.) They did install a new electronic ignition, and must have done
>that at that time. Since the engine isn't original, I guess it's possible
>the transmission isn't either, although it would be nice to have OD.

The 74 hs the dreaded seatbelt interlock on the starter circuit.  All 74
model year cars sold in the States had it.  It was so popular Congress
changed the law the very next year.  Anyway, the PO probalby had trouble
related to that and installed his own starter button.  You can probably
restore proper keyswitch function by splicing together the white/red and
white/orange wires found at the starter interlock module located in the
passenger side footwell.

And you're right about the transmission probably not being original.  If
the engine has been swapped it is most likely the transmission has too.

<snip>

>Getting steady idle seems to be a problem. Either too high or too low,
usually
>too high. It only gets low when it has been driven for a while. Oil
pressure
>is usually between 20-50, but I'm not sure how accurate the guage is. It
often
>drops to zero. I changed the oil using Mobil 1 synthetic 15W50.
Temperature
>seems good, usually between 1/4 and 1/2 when warmed up. No oil in the
water
>and no water in the oil.

Does the idle wander or is it just too high or too low at different times?
There is a thermo switch on the top radiator hose that controls the vacuum
to the module on the distributor that may be acting up.

I think that oil pressure is way overrated.  I friend of mine ran a TR6
years ago that ran 20 PSI at speed (when warm) and about zero at idle.  He
decided to see how long it would run before it packed it in.  After quite a
few years he ended up selling the car and a year later the new owner called
just to say how much he liked the car.

Question: When the oil gauge drops to zero at idle does the oil warning
light come on?  If not then it is likely that the pressure gauge is reading
low and it reads low when the pressure is actually higher (like 10,
perhaps).

If the low pressure bothers you you can drop the pan and replace the crank
bearings and oil pump and you will experience a nice improvement.  But I'll
bet your car will run a long time the way it is.  Especially since you are
using synthetic oil which has improved lubricity.

The really important thing is: is it getting any worse?  If not, don't
worry about it.

Cheers

Dave
71 TR6