Re: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)
From: Bill Bereza <bereza@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 00:14:17 -0400
On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 11:34:25AM -0400, Dave Massey wrote:
[...]
> There is also a connection to the over-run valves on the carbs.  With this
> piece missing who knows how that is plumbed?  In fact, who knows what year
> carbs you have?

If anyone knows how to figure out which year carbs are, I would like
to know.

There actually is a vacuum hose coming out of the bottom of one (maybe both)
of the carbs with a nut plugging it. Some old emissions stuff. (Did I mention
that _all_ emissions related hardware seems to be missing? Fortunately
I live in Michigan which does no emissions testing (yet).

> >About the light. Unfortunately, the light never comes on. I haven't looked
> >at it very much, except for trying a new bulb. I'll check it with a meter.
[...]
>  I recommend getting a three wire switch and hooking it up the way it
> should be.

I'm going to be ordering a new three wire switch. There are three connectors
going to the switch (two of them were just taped up and dangling.)
One question though. Does it matter which wire goes to which plug on
the switch?

> But with a three wire harness and a one wire switch you have a one in three
> chance that the right wire is connected to the switch.

I tested out the switch itself using a multimeter. It seems to be no good.
I checked the voltage from the wire going to the switch. Got ~12VDC. Connected
the wire to ground, and both oil and brake lights came on. (So all should be
ok once I get a new oil pressure switch installed.)

BTW, I noticed that no wire is connected to the brake pressure switch. I'll
have to look for another disconnected wire, if there is one.

While checking out the electrical things in the car, I found that turning
on the hazard switch only causes the left blinkers to blink. And the turn
signal warning lamp on the speedo never lights, even with just the turn
signal. (And that light was working before. Maybe even the hazards too.)
Checked the bulb and it was ok.

On the wiring diagram it looks like this could be caused by a problem in
the hazard switch itself. The workshop manual says that the speed or
tach has to be removed to get at it. How difficult is that? (In other words,
should I just wait to fix it after good driving weather is gone?) It
doesn't bother me much (except that the turn signal doesn't automatically
disengage on left turns).

Thanks.

Bill
'74 TR6