Re: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)

To: "INTERNET:bereza@pobox.com" <bereza@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: new TR6 owner (CF20293UO)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:34:25 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:bereza@pobox.com
>Actually, I like the push button start. Other people have commented on how
>neat that is (of course they don't know it's not original. It looks
correct
>the way it is.

That's one of the neat features I like about the TR3, the push button
starter.  Consider it an anti-theft device.  Nobody will figure it out
(unless they already know).

<snip>

>It doesn't seem to wander. It just is either too high or too low. It seems
>to idle higher when cold. Is that switch on the hose itself? There is a
switch
>on the water pump housing, but I don't see one on the hose. I assumed
>the switch on the water pump housing was for the gauge.

Yup.  Sounds like that bit was tossed out during the cobbling together.
The vacuum switch was a piece that was spliced into the top radiator hose.
Actually there are two pieces of hose with the switch assembly in there.
There is also a connection to the over-run valves on the carbs.  With this
piece missing who knows how that is plumbed?  In fact, who knows what year
carbs you have?

>My brother (who has a lot more experience working on cars that I do),
thinks
>the thermostat may be stuck open or non-existent. After replacing the
>water pump and refilling the radiator, we ran it for a while, and the
>temperature never got too high, even though water seemed to be flowing
>through the system as if the thermostat was open. He thinks it looked
>like that. But the bolts on the thermostat housing were so stuck on, that
we
>didn't bother checking it that day.

Easy enough to check.

<snip>

>About the gauge. It never actually drops all the way to zero. It looks
more
>like it's a couple millimeters above zero. That's only if it's hot, and
>idling below 1000rpm. At 1500 rpm idle it seems to be around 20.

Sounds a little low but not emminent death for the engine.  These things
are quite robust.

>About the light. Unfortunately, the light never comes on. I haven't looked
>at it very much, except for trying a new bulb. I'll check it with a meter.
>With the key on and engine off, it doesn't turn on. (Ignition light does.)
>I guess the oil pressure switch could be bad. It's a single plug switch.
>(I'll check it out with the meter too.)

I guess this is another of the affectations of the '69 the DPO installed.
As I recall, you said the car had a 75 year engine.  This engine should
have the three wire switch.  The 74 should also have the three wire switch.
 I recommend getting a three wire switch and hooking it up the way it
should be.

BTW, I'll bet the anti-run-on system has been stripped from this car.  This
is also wired to the oil pressure switch.

But with a three wire harness and a one wire switch you have a one in three
chance that the right wire is connected to the switch.

>Thanks for your help and optimistic remarks.
>
>Bill

Enjoy.

Dave