Way too much flow thru front carb

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Way too much flow thru front carb
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 22:07:32 -0400
Started to adjust my carbs tonight and ran into some trouble. When I
adjusted the valves and re-torqued the head bolts the other day, all 6 plugs
looked like it was running rich.

Before starting I sprayed carb cleaner around and saw no evidence of leaks
other than a small leak on the throttle shaft on the rear carb.

After some fiddling, I was able to adjust the mixture on the rear carb. The
front carb would barely adjust rich enough. Went on to synchronize. I am
using a Gunson Carbalancer to do this. The front carb seems to be flowing
way more than the rear. If I center the scale on the Carbalancer on the rear
carb, the front carb is off scale. This is even if I back the idle adjust
screw off all the way. If I center the scale on the front carb, the rear one
doesn't register at all.

My guess is that the air bypass valve on the front requires adjusting. On my
carbs the adjustment hole seems to be potted closed. I removed the valve and
it looks like it could be adjusted. Should I try? If so, how? Can I drill
through the potting so it can be adjusted on the outside?

Any other ideas or suggestions for things to look at?

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6