Re: Battery

To: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>, <ZinkZ10C@aol.com>, <tr6@pipeline.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery
From: "E Klos" <chevynova@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:50:52 -0400
> They use thin lead plates wound into a tight spiral (see tehcnical section
> on their site). Do you think they would be any good in a car?

They would work, but as a main battery you would still be better off with a
cranking battery.  A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady
amount of less current over a long period of time, such as you would need
running a trolling motor on a boat, or running inverters in an RV.  A
cranking battery is designed to provide short burst of high current, such as
is needed to run a started motor.  Running a starter motor off a deep cycle
battery won't give you maximum performance, and will kill it prematurely.
Also, a deep cycle is designed to be run nearly empty before being
recharged, while a cranking battery is designed to have a short burst pulled
out, and then quickly returned to full charge and maintaining a full charge.
I'm not real familiar with generator based systems, so it may vary there,
but with alternator based systems, remember-an alternator isn't there to
recharge a dead battery, its there to maintain a full charge.

Eric Klos   Metro Detroit area, Michigan
1989 Saab 900-usually daily driver, currently in storage with bad trans