Re: Fuel shut-off installed

To: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>, Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel shut-off installed
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:11:52 -0600
"Musson, Carl" wrote:

> I know the shut-off valve was eliminated long before TS8....  However, is
> there any advantage to having one - given that it is probably not really
> easy  to get to in an emergency.  Shutting off fuel to everything for long
> storage periods maybe. Or to work on fuel pump.
>
> And Steven - do you have any numbers for us?

The principal advantage for me is that I can shut off the gas before
emptying the sediment bowl on the fuel pump. My TR4 had seen a
couple thousand miles in the last 10 years -- and several times that
in the last year -- and the flow of small and medium sized rust from
the tank has only recently slowed. I wish I'd installed the valve back
when I was emptying the bowl every couple weeks; now that it's
easy for me to clean, the rust demons in the tank have lost interest.
I'm not sure what this "long storage" you speak of is? <g>

I tried several hardware stores (but not Sears) before noticing a
lawn-mower repair shop around the corner. I don't have a parts
number for it, but in the big Briggs-Stratton catalog there were
maybe two valves, and the other one screwed into a mower. The
guy had it for me the next day. It's not near a major heat source
so I figure the plastic is OK.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO