Re: Metal Dash Panel for Tr4

To: sanborn@net1plus.com
Subject: Re: Metal Dash Panel for Tr4
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 17:07:48 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 13-Jul-01 14:01:11 Eastern Daylight Time,
sanborn@net1plus.com writes:

> I had the same problem and same goal.  The wood dash is a veneer only and is
> layered over the original metal dash.  Even TR6s had this arrangement. You
> can
> remove the wooden veneer quite easily.  The only gotcha is locating the
> metal
> glovebox cover, chrome hinge hardware and the black vinyl covered metal
> gauge
> bezel of the original.  You must watch for these "parts car" offers on the
> list, Ebay, and the VTR clasifieds.  Most guys will supply these parts at
> relatively low cost or free for postage if your lucky like I was.

Brian, thanks.  I have checked your site.  Nice.

BTW, the TR4 had a wooden dash as standard equipment in early '64.  My car
came with the wooden dash even though it was NOT mentioned as an "option"
when I ordered the car.

I was surprised when I picked up the car at the factory showroom in London.
As I said, there had been no mention made of an optional wooden dash when I
ordered the car in Dec '63.  Build date was 14 May '64; I picked it up on 11
June '64.  Service manager told me on that date that the wood dash was
standard equipment and had been "for awhile."  Piggot also mentions this but
gives no date except early '64.

I was concerned because I thought I would have to pay extra for the dash.
There was no charge, however.  The build record also shows "Wood veneer
facia." Regards.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L