Re: PI Progress

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PI Progress
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:24:09 GMT
On 11 Apr 1999, Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be wrote:

> But don't get discouraged if you have a good
> metering unit running on a Bosh pump all will come fine.

I won't resist any opportunity to mention this: There is no reason why
the PI will not work well with a Lucas pump too. Just remember they are
getting pretty old, so they need a bit of maintenance. Main points:

        Removal of wear in the pump walls to get the clearances to spec
        (avoiding removal of the pump gear one can often get away with doing
        only the end cap).

        Renewal of O-rings and shaft seal.

        Renewing brushes (same as for Lucas wiper motors).

        Lubricating bronze bearings.

        Improve the electrical supply with a relay and proper
        wiring/grounding.

> A very
> important point not to oversee is the PRV.

It must be set and operating so that there is sufficient flow of fuel
returned to the fuel tank, and that there is sufficient pressure for the
injectors to operate properly.

> Understand that fuel is compressed by the pump( heat
> increase) and released by the PRV back to the tank ( resulting in a
> decrease of fuel temp).

Sorry, but gasoline, as any fluid, is essentially non-compressible. So,
what happens is that the heat consumed by the pump (50W) is taken up by
the gasoline, which is used as a cooling medium transferring it back to the
fuel tank via the PRV.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway