Re: TR2 windscreen frame Q

To: "John Gillis" <jgillis@tcd.ie>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR2 windscreen frame Q
From: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 99 12:11:39 +0100
>John wrote,

Dear List
>I am in the process of stripping down the windscreen frame on my TR2. I
>removed the side stanchions and tenon plates by drilling out the screws,
>which were very corroded and not made of brass as suggested by Piggott's
>book. After removing the glass I noticed the steel blocks that take the
>stanchion screws and which sit inside the screen frame are also very
>corroded and need replacing. There are two of these blocks and one angled
>one on each side and each appears to be held in place by a single screw. I
>was able to remove the angled ones with some difficulty, but the straight
>ones are very reluctant to budge. I drilled out the screw on one of them
>but it was still firmly attached to the inside of the frame. I then cut the
>block in half with my angle grinder and only half fell away, the remainder
>staying firmly attached the the inside wall of the frame. Before I tackle
>the rest of these blocks I wonder if they are normally replaced during a
>windscreen re-build. I do not see them mentioned in any of the catalogues,
>are they available? has anyone advice on how to remove them?. I have a
>spare frame in a similar state of dismantling. It has one long block on
>each side instead of two short ones and is also very corroded, could really
>do with advice before I proceed
>
>John Gillis
>1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
>1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
>Trinity College
>Dublin,
>IRELAND.

I remember doing this job on my 54 TR2 TS565.many years ago.I had the
same problems.
I ended up replacing the blocks which I aquired from a damaged frame
,but left the reassembling to a professional windscreen company,I had
been warned
how easy it was to break the glass when putting everything together.
If you have problems finding the parts speak to John Sykes at TR Bitz in
Warrington UK,
he has an enormous stock of secondhandparts.Tel 01925 861861  Fax 01925
860816
email, triumph@trbitz.u-net.com

PS if I remember correctly the size of the blocks did change,but I am not
sure if they are interchangable
Hope this is of some help
Cameron.