PI Progress

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 2000 Register <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: PI Progress
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 1999 22:36:22 +0100
Hello, Listers,

Here is an update on the restoration of my saloon's PI system. There are
some questions in it which you might be able to help me with.

So, I've stripped the metering unit and was thrilled to find it
completely undamaged; internally, it's like new. The only strange thing
I found was that the control stop follower appeared to be stuck in a
position toward the rear-I couldn't lift out the diaphragm/ link
assembly without freeing the follower.
Also, the fuel diaphragm had a concentric crack about halfway out from
the centre.

Keeping it all surgically clean (well, nearly), I reassembled the unit
with new, Nitrile seals and diaphragm. This was quite painless but
putting the MU
barrel and the control unit together was tricky.

Meanwhile, the injectors-which have had new O-rings already, were sent
off for recalibration.

Today, I removed the throttle bodies for cleaning and restoration. I've
already bought two new Nylon bearings for the throttle linkage but have
found that the middle bearing is missing 1/3 of its circumference.
Question is, how do you fit a new centre bearing, given that it's
flanked by actuating levers on the shaft?

I reckon that even my old mate, Stan Part, wouldn't be so stupid as to
weld the levers on either side of the bearing so there must be a way.
Does slitting the new bearing radially and feeding it in around the
shaft sound feasible?

Otherwise, all I need to do is replace the (leaking) string-reinforced
nylon pipe in the boot, on the low pressure side of the (Bosch) pump.
This pipe leads
from the filter to a brass coupling, then a rubber pipe leads to the
pump. I assume this has been done to cater for the difference in
diameter from filter to pump inlet.

Hints, tips, suggestions, etc., all welcome,

Thanks,

David Hill