HELP!! Front crank nut!!

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HELP!! Front crank nut!!
From: autoxr@zebra.net (Erik Bjorkner)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 20:44:21 -0600
HELP!!!

I am trying to remove the front nut that holds the pulley on at the front of
the engine.

The engine is a 76 SPIT 1500.

I currently have it on a stand so there is no flywheel.  I have tried to hold
the pulley with a pipe wrench and loosen the 1-7/8" nut with a breaker bar....
Couldn't hold the pipe wrench on...  I then attached the engine hoist chain on
the crank via the flywheel bolts and I broke the chain.

It looks as if the engine rotates clock-wise as looking at it from the front.
I am wondering... is this nut a left hand nut?  I was assuming it was a right
hand but am not sure!?!

Do I need to heat it with a torch??  Or attach some flat bar to the crank bolts
and wedge it against the engine stand!!

HELP!!  NEED SUGGESTIONS!!!

Getting aggravated fast!!,

Thanks,