Re: HELP!! Front crank nut!!

Subject: Re: HELP!! Front crank nut!!
From: richard jackson <richard.jackson@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:41:12 +0000
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

Erik Bjorkner wrote:

> HELP!!!
>
> I am trying to remove the front nut that holds the pulley on at the front of
>the engine.
>
> The engine is a 76 SPIT 1500.
>
> I currently have it on a stand so there is no flywheel.  I have tried to hold
>the pulley with a pipe wrench and loosen the 1-7/8" nut with a breaker bar....
>Couldn't hold the pipe wrench on...  I then attached the engine hoist chain on
>the crank via the flywheel bolts and I broke the chain.
>
> It looks as if the engine rotates clock-wise as looking at it from the front.
> I am wondering... is this nut a left hand nut?  I was assuming it was a right
>hand but am not sure!?!

Try removing the sump and wedge a decent sized lump of wood between the crank
and the engine block, that should stop the crank from turning.  Last time I had
this problem the engine was still in the car, so this is what I
did..............Get a BIG spair of stilson's(I think you lot call 'em a
Monkey wrench), grip the pulley nut with them and have the handle slightly
above the chassis rail, then, now comes the dodgey part, hit the starter, made
one hell of a clatter but it broke the bas*ard thing free!!! :-)  I did it like
this, as even with the car in gear and the brakes on and
wheels chocked, the damn thing STILL managed to move when I turned the
stilsons!!! :-)

Rich