Re: U-joint Installation

To: "Heglund, Davis (MN17)" <dheglund@SGP.Honeywell.com>
Subject: Re: U-joint Installation
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 20:40:47 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dave/List:

Thanks for the encouragement and advise (as well as the
rest of the listers that responded). I too tend to go after
a job with sheer determination. I was able to get the 2
u-joints in this morning. Yes, the bearings had tipped,
thus preventing the spider to fully engage with the cup.
I too found you needed to tap the cup at times off
center to reallign the cup and coax it into the yoke.

One thing I did learn. If you leave the grease nipple in
the u-joint when you need to tap out the cup (oops, those
darn bearings again), the force created from the spider
stricking the cup will break the threading of the nipple.
Trashed that u-joint! So, if you ever need to tap/rap/hit
really hard to release the cap, first remove the grease
nipple from the u-joint.

All are in and fit great. The right side half axel should
be much easier now that I'm experienced!

Had a hell of a time getting the trailing arm off today, but
that will be another post.

Thanks again for all the help.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA