U-Joint Installation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: U-Joint Installation
From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:37:09 -0800
Seeking some advice.

Decided to begin installing the new universal joints
on the half axel of my '70 TR6. Had finsihed all the
prep work (cleaning, brushing, painting, etc.) and felt
confident that the job was well in hand. Well...

Put the spider in the yoke and smeared a little grease
on the eyelet of the yoke to help the cup into place. Got
the one cup in fairly easily and pressed it and the spider
well past center so the opposite end of the spider was
well into the yoke to make for easier engagement with the
other cup once I started pressing it in.  Pressed the opposit
cup into the joke but could never get the "neck" of the spider
to sit flush with the rubber collar of the cup. Because of
this, I think, I couldn't get both cups in far enough to
allow the clips to engage (could get one side in but then
not the other). Also, the more I tried to press the side that
the collar wasn't flush, the more difficult it was for the
u-joint to move (almost freezing up).

Could the bearings have come lose? What could be causing this?
I bought the u-joints from BPNW and they are made in Japan,
which the 6-pack article states are not worth buying (referencing
made in Japan, not BPNW).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I dread the thought of
having to start over and get the dang spider out again.

Scott Suhring
Elizabethtown, PA
'70 TR6