RE: U-joint Installation

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: U-joint Installation
From: "Heglund, Davis (MN17)" <dheglund@SGP.Honeywell.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 12:11:42 -0600
Had some similar problems with my 69 GT6.  In fact, I took one of the rear
axles to a local machine shop after I had given up.  They ruined a u-joint,
and told me that it simply wouldn't fit!!  Tried it at home again, with the
first u-joint, and finally succeeded through sheer determination (I hate to
be beaten by something mechanical).  I had the binding problem, also, but
was able to adjust the cups by tapping on one side of the top of the cup to
move it slightly off-axis until it freed up.
   Don't know what the TR6 rearend is like, but the GT6 rotoflex rearend is
a real nightmare.  Previous owner let the bearings go too long and wore the
hub shafts.  Had to get sleeves machined and pressed in to make up the
difference.  And then getting the right thickness spacers........ick.
   Anyway, chances are your u-joints will fit, but you may have to "massage"
them a little.    Good luck.
   Dave H.