Re: U-Joint Installation

To: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U-Joint Installation
From: Patrick Barber <sailnbail@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:25:18 -0500
scott suhring wrote:

> Seeking some advice.
>
> Decided to begin installing the new universal joints
> on the half axel of my '70 TR6. Had finsihed all the
> prep work (cleaning, brushing, painting, etc.) and felt
> confident that the job was well in hand. Well...
>
> Put the spider in the yoke and smeared a little grease
> on the eyelet of the yoke to help the cup into place. Got
> the one cup in fairly easily and pressed it and the spider
> well past center so the opposite end of the spider was
> well into the yoke to make for easier engagement with the
> other cup once I started pressing it in.  Pressed the opposit
> cup into the joke but could never get the "neck" of the spider
> to sit flush with the rubber collar of the cup. Because of
> this, I think, I couldn't get both cups in far enough to
> allow the clips to engage (could get one side in but then
> not the other). Also, the more I tried to press the side that
> the collar wasn't flush, the more difficult it was for the
> u-joint to move (almost freezing up).
>
> Could the bearings have come lose? What could be causing this?
> I bought the u-joints from BPNW and they are made in Japan,
> which the 6-pack article states are not worth buying (referencing
> made in Japan, not BPNW).
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated. I dread the thought of
> having to start over and get the dang spider out again.
>
> Scott Suhring
> Elizabethtown, PA
> '70 TR6

Scott,
I too have begun the intense job of replacing my U-joints in my 70
Spitfire.  I have always heard that this was a tough job and now I know
why.  I too ran into the problem you described.  The problem I had was a
needle bearing which "tipped over" and prevented the 2nd cup from being
seating properly.  trashed the needle bearing, cup and hence the entire
replacement U-joint.  this was the first of four u-joints so I was able
to continue, albeit a little smarter.

What I did to ensure that the cups seat properly is to take my time.  My
method was to lightly tap the first cup into place, install the spider,
then lightly tap the second cap into place, sliding the spider over into
the cap which I was tapping.  One I was sure the cups were started
properly, I installed the yoke in a vise and pressed the cups in.  When
the cups were flush with the yoke, I used a 7/16 nut to countersink the
cap to the proper level.  I then installed the clip and did the other
cup.  I repeated the process for the other 2 cups.

Let us know how things work out.

--
Patrick Barber, Allen Park, MI
70 Spitfire MkIII FDU89984L