Re: offended someone on the list

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: offended someone on the list
From: Jack McCarrick <jmccarr@iwaynet.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 05:20:31 -0500
Cc: "'Hutmacher, Greg'" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>, "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I'll add two cents in that I agree with Jim.  The vendor or representative
should have a right to to clarify or represent themselves. Off list responses
don't correct any damage done to the vendors reputation if errors were made.
Tone and attitude in those messages are significantly important
and I agree Flaming messages don't help anyone.

There are periodically runs of messages here that I percieve as vendor bashing
for the sport of it. . It's not that they don't contain some factual
information, but they always seem to be focused on smearing the vendor.  I can
see no other purpose.    Its all in the tone and wording.  I understand wanting
to vent when people are angry, but if you would not accept a message posted with
your own name substitiuted for the vendors the content is probably the wrong
thing to send.  I particularly don't like seeing a list member or a vendor put
on trial without an opportunity to represent themselves.

As far as the specific message Greg got (having not seen it, and not wanting to)
if the vendor went beyond stating facts they probably hurt themselves.  It used
to be that retail believed that 1 dissatisfied customer generated fear whch cost
sales in at least 10 more potential customers. With the web that is now a higher
number. On list or off list the word of such actions will travel.
People do stupid things when they are angry,  last I heard vendors hire people.

Jack McCarrick