Re: offended someone on the list

To: ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com
Subject: Re: offended someone on the list
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:42:12 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Greg, whoever it was that contacted you was in wrong in doing so.  This
list is a forum for Triumph enthusiasts and NOT a commercial advertising
site.  I pesonally have no problems what so ever about complaining about
any given vendor on the list.  Thats the only way we are going to find out
which products are good and which ones arn't.  I wouldn't be surprised if
most vendors monitored this list for content.  The fact that one of them
contacted you directly is just plain WRONG.

The only thing I would respond back to the individual with is a polite, Buzz
Off statement.

> I thought long and hard about writing this since I'm a newcomer to this
> list and have been very grateful to have found a great source of
> information. However, I feel this is an important issue as I believe this
> list should be a free exchange of information intended to benefit those
> who own and love Triumphs as I do. I received an email sent to me off list
> that chastised me for questioning the quality/value of a Triumph related
> product. I certainly had no idea that the vendor who represented the item
> I was commenting on was even on the list. I am not going to say who it was
> or what the item was because the purpose of this post is not to "flame"
> this person or start a tit-for-tat round going.  I also want to be
> courteous and give the person the benefit of the doubt that maybe they
> were having a bad day.  But the individual took personal offense that I
> questioned/commented on a product that they apparently have a vested
> financial interest in and emailed me to tell me.  I will not be more
> specific because, again, I'm not out to flame them and since I don't know
> everyone on the list that well, this incident may be out of character for
> what may be ordinarily, a very nice person. However, I would like to say
> that, in my humble opinion, a list like this should have the primary
> function of being an open and honest forum to help Triumph enthusiasts
> maintain and enjoy their cars.  Part of that necessarily is questions and
> opinions about various products and services available.  As long as no one
> is trying to be outright malicious, mean, or rude (none of which I felt I
> was), listers should feel free to state their question, opinion, or their
> impression/experience with a product or service, good or bad, without
> worrying about someone who sells the product flaming them.

Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
My Web Site Http://www.141.com/triumphs (updated 12/3/98)

1964 Spitfire4 BFC25720L -- 1973 Spitfire 1500 FM3353U
1962 TR4 CT288L          -- 1959 TR3A TS41311L
1951 Dodge Truck B-3-B-108