RE: offended someone on the list

To: "'Hutmacher, Greg'" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>, "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: offended someone on the list
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:17:37 -0600
Greg Hutmacher wrote:

> . . . I received an email sent to me off list that chastised me
> for questioning the quality/value of a Triumph related product.

> the individual took personal offense that I questioned/commented
> on a product that they apparently have a vested financial interest
> in and emailed me to tell me.

First of all, you should know that it's not all that difficult for someone
to figure out who you're talking about. There are archives for this list and
old posts can be retrieved.

If I'm not mistaken, it appears that a question was raised about the
"authenticity" of a product being sold, based on second hand information. A
perfectly reasonable question to raise and a perfectly proper use of the
Triumph list. As you stated, "listers should feel free to state their
question, opinion, or their impression/experience with a product or service,
good or bad . . ."

Of course you run the risk that the individual or firm you've mentioned will
take issue with what you've said . . . and they certainly have a right to
reply - which can be done by private email or by a post to the list.

Personally, if someone questions a remark I've made to the list I'd just as
soon hear about it privately rather than getting blasted in front of the
whole list. Private disagreements are often best resolved privately.

Since there's no one to police internet email, we all have to deal with the
occasional rude note dropping out of the blue. If that's what happened here,
then I agree with Brad Kahler: A polite "Buzz Off" statement directed
privately to the offending party should end the matter.

Jim Hill
Madison WI