Re: Insurance

To: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 20:49:47 -0800
Cc: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Dennis Barr wrote:

> Hi Listers: I think it is important that we all participate in this
> discussion. All of us have good and bad experiences with
> service/insurance companies. I am always surprised when an agent quotes
> me a price and is not at all willing to negotiate the rate. I have to
> "deal" EVERYDAY in the dental supply business. We always try to please
> our customers with price and service. They go together. But, we are very
> aware that price comes first, and service after-the-sale brings
> customers back. Why are they(the insurance companies) always willing to
> "sell" the policy, but not at all thrilled with working with you to give
> you better value and better protection. I discovered, from the same
> agent, we have two of our vans with almost 50% different coverage. Both
> used for the same thing and mileage.  If one of them is in an accident I
> will probably be sued for the higher amount. Why didn't the agent see
> this and let me know. A NEW AGENT IS NOW HANDLING OUR VANS.
> My recent example of insurance that is less than a good value. I highly
> recommend that you get competitive quotes each time you renew.
> Sorry for band width.
> Dennis Barr

Insurance, unlike most other commidities is regulated by the state and
very closely, it is against the law to give one price to one customer
with the "SAME" qualifacations, as another. If the driving records, age,
type car, coverage etc. are equal, the price must be the same, from the
same company, now rates may vary from one com. to another, but not within
the same co.. If you have a bad driving record, young of age, a high
rated car, then the prices can have a big difference in the field as well
as with other companys. The main thing is they are regulated on price as
well as coverage, anytime you think your ins. has done you wrong go to
the state ins. commisioner with a complaint. A few years back a local
club member had a 65 Must. insured (state farm) for a cash value of X,
the car was totaled, and claim denied for the face value of his policy. A
lawsuit was started, and after 4 trials, about 200 newspapers, Hemmings,
monthly magazines, and clippings showing price from any source, and about
100 club members testifing, he won, a lots more to this story than this
short bit, but face value does not always mean face value. I may be
incorrect but I do not know of any state that does not have a insurance
commisioner.   "FT"