Re: Insurance

To: Tom Winslow <tom_winslow@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Insurance
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:00:49 -0800
Cc: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>, triumph mail <Triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Tom,
You pretty well summed it up!  Insurance companies are
in business for one reason and one reason only.  That
reason is, of course, to make money!  So their first
knee-jerk reaction to any claim is to look for any
reason to disallow it.

It brings to mind an instance that happened to my Dad
back in the '60's.  He commuted 35 miles each way to
work (so he wouldn't have to move) in a '61 MOrris
Minor.  On one trip he heard a rod knocking and parked
the car in a rest area.  He hitched a ride to his
destination and after work got a tow truck to take him
back to his car.  When he got there, he found that
someone had hot wired the car and got about 100 yards
before throwing a rod through the block.

He filed a claim with his insurance company and not
only did they disallow the claim, they promptly
canceled his coverage leaving him out the cost of a new
engine.  Needless to say, he didn't have too many good
things to say about that company or the insurance
industry in general.

Regards,
Joe

--