insurance

To: <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: insurance
From: "Michael L. Coop" <mcoop@amfam.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:36:47 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
It is with more than a little hesitation I'm going to post my comments about
the insurance issues being discussed here on the list.

I've been an agent for the same company for 20 years.  Prior to that, I was
an automobile insurance underwriter in the home office of a small regional
independent company.  I regularly hear the same kind of stories being
written about here on the list.   Unfortunately, most of those unsavory
stories are true.

It seems that insurance companies develop personalities much like we as
people do.   Unfortunately, there are a group of companies in the market
that do not see the reality of their market.   We, as insurance providers,
only exist to serve our customers... not the other way around.

We make promises when we provide a policy in exchange for our clients'
hard-earned premium dollars.  If we don't live up to those promises, then we
betray our clients trust... and we don't deserve to be in the market place.

My suggestion would be to find an agent who is interested in establishing a
long-term relationship with you as a person, rather than just shopping based
upon rates.   Ask your friends and relatives about the experience they've
had with their agent and company.   Those stories are just as reliable and
useful as those describing companies and agents who don't behave ethically
and morally.

There are many good, reliable agents and companies our market.   The key is
to select them as carefully as you would select a doctor, lawyer, or
accountant.

Mike Coop
Michael Coop Agency, Inc.