Re: Coil

To: ruset@flash.net
Subject: Re: Coil
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:15:10 EST
Cc: geohahn@azstarnet.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 99-01-08 23:28:12 EST, ruset@flash.net writes:

> Thanks for your comments.  In principle, I agree with you regarding the
>  effect of capacitor size and the usefulness of this test, and you
>  certainly could not use it successfully for small disc or tubular
>  capacitors.  However, the capacitor used in my TR3 certainly does
>  respond as noted.  My analog meter is a "cheapie No-Name" and it's
>  highest resistance range is only 20 Meg-ohms, but it does the job.  Try
>  it for yourself.

Russ,

That's interesting, because I did test a couple of the capacitors used in my
TR6 or my MGB, known to be good, before I responded, and it didn't work.
Either the capacitors used on the later cars are smaller, or my meter is a bit
more sluggish than yours (mine is a "middle of the line" meter - not too
cheap, not too expensive). I guess the bottom line, then, would be "if it
works, the capacitor is good, if not, you can't be sure."  Or maybe my "known
to be good" capacitors weren't?  One of them had been removed from a working
engine about a week before the test, and the other about a year ago. No wonder
people hate electrical stuff!

>  BTW, that was a nice article on the "Electrical Loads, parts one and
>  two"

Thanks, hope it was helpful.

Dan Masters, Atlanta, GA (celebrating a fourth birthday!)