Re: Removing undercoating

To: "Brian Kemp" <bk13@earthlink.net>, "Andy" <amdixon@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Removing undercoating
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 20:11:30 +0100
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Someone wrote....

>> > Anyone have any tips on removing the undercoating from the wheel wells,
>> > etc.?

On my '64 Ford Cortina Woody Estate, the underseal was extremely old and
brittle. I removed it using my air chisel. Sounds drastic, I know, but I
found that I could reduce the pressure until the chisel would only just
cycle, making the blows very weak.
Using a combination of a blunt, stud driving bit and a blunt, flat chisel
bit I could 'rattle' most of the underseal off and 'shave' the rest away.

Start in a place where the reverse side of the metal can't be seen and
you'll soon find out how much force can be used.

Dave Hill, UK.