Re: Removing undercoating

To: "Andy" <amdixon@erols.com>
Subject: Re: Removing undercoating
From: "Charles Duckworth" <cnlduckwor@ninenet.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 19:15:35 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Andy, the TR-6 I bought had the entire engine compartment sprayed with
black undercoating and in some places as thick as 3/8".  The guy was
generous to a fault with the stuff or must have owned stock in the company.
 I've spend several weekends and evenings taking pieces off and going over
everything with a low odor mineral spirits and have about 95% removed
(mostly what I can reach and see).  The original BRG paint is coming out to
a nice gloss.  I know laquer thinner plays hell with rubber gaskets, if
this is a concern.

I also found that working in a hot sun makes the undercoating easier to
remove - not fun but acouple of cold beers help.