'63 TR4 for sale in Hampton VA

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '63 TR4 for sale in Hampton VA
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:03:24 -0400
Listers,

I looked at this car today, the fiscally-minded better half prevailed,
so I didn't make him an offer.  However, there's enough potential there
that I thought it worth passing along.  The potential should be obvious,
I've tried to point out the defects.  Its not my car, and I don't know the
seller.  I'd just like to see another TR4 put back on the road someday.

Commisson CT25681, body CT25378, engine CT25900L

The parts of the frame I could check were solid.
Body OK, excellent bonnet and doors, one rear fender has filler around
tail light and some rust at the bottom of the door.  Rockers rusted,
passenger floor rusty, driver's side has some sheet metal riveted in.
Recent very nice coat of antique white paint (in spite of the rust, I would
be seen in this car.)  Front valence is dented, rear bumper was hit.
Trunk OK.  All rubber seals are shot (doors, trunk, windscreen)

Canvas soft top is shot, but the hoodsticks and trim are all there.

Essentially no interior.  Mixture of black/brown, two different seats,
homemade dash.  DPO cut the dash support to mount a radio, trimmed
by a piece of plywood (DDDPO at work here - that's double d%$! dumb
previous owner).  Ammeter missing; light switch missing; turn signal
stalk broken.  Carpets are trash.

Car hasn't run for a year, owner didn't want to start it since he hadn't
oiled the cylinders.  Engine number indicates a factory reconditioned
unit (I think.)  Very clean (and not from engine cleaning.)  There's a
definite absence of oil leak evidence.  Claims to have been driven
last year.  Electric fuel pump fitted in trunk.  H6 carbs,
not Strombergs.  No heater valve or hoses.  A piece of garden hose
for a crankcase breather (sheesh.)

Old wire wheels with very old tires.  I didn't pull them to look at the
brakes or suspension.

He listed $2450 in the paper.  If I wanted a garage project I would
have offered him around $1500 to see what he'd take.  I figure about
$4000 to get a nice driver out of it:

$1000 for interior (seats, trim, guages, controls)
$500 for rust repairs
$700 for suspension and brake overhaul
$1200 for new wheels and tires
$500 new top and trim seals
$? for various other stuff (heater controls, hoses, tune-up, correct
fuel pump, etc.)

Who's braver than my wife, er, me?

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net