Thermostats

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thermostats
From: Neil Penberthy <n.penberthy@liant.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 12:58:40 -0500
Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, tboicey@brit.ca, james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk

Trevor writes more about thermostats.

I don't want to labor the point but :

1. If the thermal transfer is better in the radiator (losing heat to the
air), is it also the case that the motor will lose more heat to the water ?
I think this is a bad assumption. I would like to know why you think your
engine is cooler. Have you taken core temperature readings ? You must have
access to some neat equipment if you have. I'd like to see this information.

2. Why did my Spitfire run hotter with back to back tests with and without
the 'stat? My conclusions are based on overheating symptoms as well as a
temp gauge reading.

Trevor I'll ignore the smart comments that come with each reply. OK ? We
all can share our opinions can't we ? Isn't that what these lists are all
about - information not attitudes.

 I'd be interested in your information if you have anything other than
anecdotal evidence. I have plenty of that already.

Otherwise I think we'll have to agree to differ. My experience (including
some time as a wrench), and all the advice I've been given on good
authority is obviously contrary to your opinion.

Neil