Re: Thermostats

Subject: Re: Thermostats
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 15 May 1998 18:11:32 -0400
triumphs-owner@autox.team.net writes:
Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca> writes:
>> heat dissipation (if water flows too fast, heat transfer will be reduced),
>
>  Although the thermostat has it's purpose, the "flowing too fast"
>myth has been debunked many times on this list. It has no basis
>in science.  Refer to the archives for the meat of the discussion.

        This myth seems to crop up every spring.  Maybe we need to
have everyone on the list take a test on the physics of automobile cooling
systems to join, with a refresher each year... ;-) ;-)  The archives
have _long_ detailed analysis of this issue (some of it by me).

bills <bills@pagesz.net> writes:
>After ten years with my current TR6, I have been giving thought recently
>to increasing horse power.  Not a screaming machine, but keeping the
>original engine and getting it up to the 150 bhp range.  Headers may not
>be an option because of the emission laws here in North Carolina.
>
>Has anyone tried changing the manifold and adding a third Stromberg
>carburetor or any kind of turbo?

        If you want to go 3 carbs, go triple webers.  Not recommended
unless you have headers, perhaps head work and upped compression, and
perhaps a cam - and even then you'll probably have lower power below
3000ish rpm, I'd guess, and only a big difference above 4500ish.  The
webers are more carb than anything but a race or very hot street car need.
IMHO.

        Turbo has been done (long ago, by Arkay I think).  You could
custom-fab one.  However, why do you think you can't do headers but can
do turbo or carb swaps?

stu.jo@ibm.net writes:
>>   Although the thermostat has it's purpose, the "flowing too fast"
>> myth has been debunked many times on this list. It has no basis
>> in science.

>Last summer I conclusively proved that my TR8 ran MUCH cooler without a
>T/Stat/.I missed it in the winter though when the heater never got
>hot.If anyone is interested I have temp readings taken at various speeds
>with and without.

        Sure, if you have more cooling than you need (the normal case) and
no thermostat, you'll run cool - too cool, in fact.  Engines have an
optimum temp range, normally around 80-90C.  The thermostat lets it get
there as fast as it can, and then holds it there until the overall cooling
needed is more than can be provided at 80C (so the temp goes up until
either you get enough cooling (amount of cooling depends on the temp
differential between radiator (water) and air), or until it boils over
(because the even at coolant boiling-point there wasn't enough heat
transfer).

        Put a new thermostat back in.  If you were boiling over with a
thermostat and not boiling without one, then the thermostat was bad.
There are few situations where running without a thermostat is a good
idea - even in most racing you want one.  And it's generally not a good
idea to use a low-temp thermostat, either.  IMHO.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com