Re: Staying happy with your Triumph

To: lchillin@siu.edu
Subject: Re: Staying happy with your Triumph
From: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 13:44:12 EDT
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 98-05-19 10:17:29 EDT, lchillin@siu.edu writes:

> In my humble opinion, the best thing you can do if you own a less-than
>  perfect Triumph is to stay away from these shows and gatherings where
>  perfect cars are on display.  It only makes you look at your own car as
>  somehow inferior.  <snip>

Larry,
Sorry, don't agree.  Sounds like a personal problem.  My car is not inferior,
it is MY car - so why should I judge it inferior unless I can't control my own
opinions and  thoughts.

AND I don't want to see only old cars which have been completely torn apart,
rebuilt and then trailered to an event.  I also want to see cars whch have
been used, maintained and then used as what they were built for - i.e.
transportation and sport.  And I also want to see cars which have been
modified in accord with someone's dream.  If you hide your car away you
deprive me of seeing your car and what you have done.  I lose something in
that as does everyone else.  If we were all so thin-skinned we would not even
have "shows" and events and we would lose a great part of the comraderie which
owning an LBC provides.

I don't care about "winning" anything But I don't have any negative feelings
for those folks who do like to "win."  I appreciate the guy who brings his car
back to showroom quality and I applaud his efforts but I also appreciate the
person who gets enjoyment from just maintaining and using his car.

It's nice when someone appreciates my car for whatever reason - memories or
usage or color or story.  If I take home a plaque or trophy - fine - but that
is not why my car is on the field.  It is there to be shared with other people
who want to see these cars.  That's why people come to these events.

There is room for everyone's attitude in this hobby of ours. But I believe
that sharing our cars with each other is part of it all.  There are plenty of
folks out there who enjoy seeing my car - even if it is not "showroom."
Anyone who puts down my car is ignored by me and I dismiss them.  I certainly
won't let them change my own opinion of my car. But I find plenty of people
who just enjoy seeing it.

Art Kelly