GT6 with TR6 engine

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT6 with TR6 engine
From: Maurice Dykes <mhdykes@thinkage.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 22:51:51 -0400
>My 72 GT6 has a TR6 block.  I had thought it had a complete TR6 engine,
>however, in talking to a LBC mechanic and looking at the engine,  the pan
>does not seem to be deep enough for the TR6 crank.  The pan is funny anyway
>since the drain plug is on the right, not the left side.  Every GT6 I have
>seen had the plug on the left, more or less under the filter.

When I installed a 2.5 in my GT6 I had a choice of the TR oil drain plug
interfering with the GT6 frame or the crank interfering with the GT oil pan.

I took off the pan (engine on a stand), noticed where it rubbed and with a
3/4 dia piece of round bar, hammered some relief into the oil pan while
heating it with a torch. I could have relocated the drain plug I suppose,
but I already had a nice baffle installed in the sump part of the pan.

>I was certainly convinced that it had a larger engine, but now I am
wondering.

The number stamped on the block will identify the engine.

-Maurice

--
IdentaFone - Caller ID software

http://www.golden.net/~identfon