Re: GT6 with TR6 engine

To: Ljbtvr <Ljbtvr@aol.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 with TR6 engine
From: Sam Gentry <hsgentry@cfw.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 17:54:56 -0400
I already knew that it was a TR6 block ('71).  I had assumed that it had
the 2.5L crank, but I can see no dimple on the pan to clear the crank.  The
carbs are 1.5 CD's on the GT6 manifold.  I have been told that there is no
way to get the engine under the bonnet with the TR6 pan.  The pan appears
to be neither a GT6 nor a TR6.  Without something to look at it seems to be
more like a GT6 pan (the depth at the shallow end does not seem to be 1.5
to 1.75 inches as a TR6 pan has been described.  It is more like 1 to 1.25
inches deep.  However, the drain plug is on the RIGHT, not the left side
like a GT6 or TR6.

Actually it does not really matter to me, if I need to work on it I will
quickly know which crank is in there. However, I know someone who wants to
do the 2.5L swap and wanted to know how this was done without the TR6 pan
and no dents in the GT6 pan.

Sam

At 05:10 PM 5/4/98 -0400, Ljbtvr wrote:

>Sam-
>Take a look at the back of the block at the top left side.  At the level of
>the valve cover gasket is a flat spot with the engine number.  If it starts
>with a KC you have a 2 liter GT6 block; a CC means it's a 2.5 TR6.
>
>A TR6 pan won't fit without modification to clear the steering rack, but a
GT6