Re: You Tell Me

To: msecres@ibm.net, James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: You Tell Me
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 15:11:24 +1000
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
At 11:07 AM +1000 25/2/98, msecres@ibm.net wrote:

>Actually, the car already has a PO installed electric fan, in the front,
>not the back.  Haven't checked to see it there's room to take off the
>blades, and move the fan to the rear of the rad, but I've thought about
>it.

Why move the electric fan from the front to the rear of the radiator?  Just
remove the mechanical fan.

>It just makes me a little nervous to run the car, with its
>propensity for heat, with just the fan.  I think I would want to hook up
>an audio alert to the temperature sensor, so that in case I was out on a
>95 degree day, and the fan shorted out, at least I would get a clear
>warning of the situation, in case I didn't happen to be watching the
>temp gauge like a hawk.  Anyone done THIS?

I am still in the process of fitting an electric fan to my TR6 (the fan is
fitted but not wired and the mechanical fan has not been removed), so I
cannot comment on how it performs.  However, having previously fitted
electric fans to other vehicles, I expect it to operate only when
travelling slowly on hot days.  There should be plenty of time to monitor
the water temperature guage.

Try it and find out; you can always replace the mechanical fan.

As for fitting an audio alert, I would not bother.  You would have to find
a suitable temperature sensor (higher than normal operating temperature -
eg 90 to 95C) and a convenient place to install it.  Both the sensor and
the mounting location would introduce two new points of failure.

It might be easier to install a manual override switch for the fan so that
you can check its operation regularly.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U