Re: You Tell Me

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: You Tell Me
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 06:35:10 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Martin writes:
>If you had the option of running K&N air filters on Strombergs on a GT6,
>would you do that rather than use the stock filter box, supplied with
>cold air ducting?
  < snip >
*************************************
That's what I did.  Made a difference in the top end on my GT6+, and I
didn't need to change needles.  I have later specification, NEW carbs on
the car though.  Couldn't be happier!!  Richard good does make a triple
carb manifold for the TR6(GT6) head, but it is for three 175 Stromberg (or
HS6-SU's) and as such would be too much carb for the 2 liter in all but all
out racing trim.  That's the beauty of these constant velocity carbs
though.  You really can't over carb as this type of carb will only allow as
much air as the engine requires and no more.  You just won't be utilizing
all the carb that you could if "over carb'd".  Also, with this setup I
suspect it may hit the bonnet at the extreme front, guaranteed to with SU's
  Although I would also like triple carbs for a GT6  (because it looks
"cool", and I have actually modeled just such a manifold in PRO-E for 150
Strombergs).  For better top end breathing on a GT6, you could use a TR6
175 dual carb manifold and get the extra breathing, without all the
complication, but you may still have a clearance issue with the bonnet even
with that setup - course were talking about a '70 and later GT6 here.  The
earlier (straight port) head is different, but the carbs would act the same.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle)