Re: HEELLLLLPPPPPP!

To: "Chris Prugh" <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>, "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: HEELLLLLPPPPPP!
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:51:55 -0800
Cc: "'British List'" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>

, didn't mean to scream, but I did want to get your attention.

I have a diagnosis problem, directly relating to the addition of my header.
<snip>
I just completed the last of my winter repairs:
Header.....got the 4-2-1 from TriumphTune/Moss England.  (Bolted right up,
in case you were wondering).  Using the Weber DGV, which was tuned to
perfection before the header (passed smog).  Now, I can't get the pig to
run for sh*t.  All timing the same, running the Crane electronic ignition.
No changes at all, 'cept for the damn header

Granted, I am running an open collector pipe (you thought a Monza was
loud), and as such there is little if any backpressure.  But I can't even
keep it idling long enough to make it the .25 mile to the exhaust shop.

Help me listers....where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance,

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar (really spittin' fire)
Morgan Hill, CA
----------

Chris-

Oh you unscrupulous modifier...<g>

Granted the open headers will make some difference in back pressure, but
not enough to keep it from running. I think the problem is with those "well
fitting" headers. Most times the flange at the head is not exactly as well
shaped as the stock exhaust manifold. What usually happens is that the
cutout area that the intake manifold sort of fits down into, is not cut out
properly on the new headers. Most all headers will take some form of
fitting in this area. On some applications, the intake will not be allowed
to pull tight against the head even tho the bolts are tight. In extreme
circumstances I have seen the intake actually butted up against the outside
of the flange on the exhaust header so that there is an air gap of approx
3/16" at the bottom of the intake runners, while it looks like it is bolted
up perfectly tight at the top where you can see it.

Sounds like "grindin" time to me...
          Nick in Nor Cal