Re: Oil pressure gauge and rocker feed

To: "Benjamin L. Harrell" <mp2817@medmail.mcg.edu>, triumph news group <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge and rocker feed
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:04:33 +1000
At 7:57 AM +1000 20/2/98, Benjamin L. Harrell wrote:

>Finally, does anyone have experience with the rocker oil feed assembly?
>Is it needed for proper lubrication?  What problems can it cause?  I
>thought someone suggested it can cause the engine to burn oil.

I installed one on a TR6 a few weeks ago.  It may not do any good, but I
cannot see additional lubrication doing any harm.  No operational problems,
but a few installation difficulties with the connection of the oil line to
the head.

The hollow bolt that connects the oil line to the head snapped as I was
tightening it.  Moss sent a replacement which was bored 5/64ths down the
centre, whereas the original had been bored about 1/8th inch.  This may not
sound like a lot, but it makes a big difference to amount of metal
remaining and might explain why the first bolt broke.  If you get one,
check this bolt.

The second problem was with the two flimsy copper washers which seal
between the oil line and the bolt.  I lost about 1.5 litres of oil in a
couple of minutes while trying to get a good seal with the original washers.

Simple solution: throw them away and buy some proper 3/8ths/10mm copper
washers.  I also used three washers, two between the head and the oil line
and one between the oil line and the bolt head.  This ensured sufficient
clearance between the oil line and the head.

It is important to ensure that the bolt goes through the centre of the
washer(s) between the head and the oil line, and does not snag on the edge
of the hole.  Otherwise it will leak.  The sharply stepped edges on the
bolt make misalignment easy.

It is also a bit difficult to hold everything in place while installing the
bolt (in the tight space between the head and the battery), but by smearing
all the parts with a layer of grease, they held in place and made the job
much easier.

Regards, Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U