Re: Oil pressure gauge and rocker feed

To: Jeff Johnson <jguy@erinet.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure gauge and rocker feed
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:13:43 +1000
Cc: Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
At 10:40 AM +1000 20/2/98, Jeff Johnson wrote:

>I just put one on my '76  TR last year and snapped the bolt also.

It makes me feel much better to know that I am not alone.

>It appeared that the original bolt had
>been undercut too much at the shoulder. Well, at least that's my excuse for
>snapping it off.

This appears to be same aspect of the design which causes the bolt to snag
on the copper washer unless it is perfectly aligned during assembly.  If
the bolt were tapered, rather than stepped, between the thread and the flat
section, it would both improve its strength and make it self-centre in the
washer.

>I was kinda hoping to see lots of add'l oil dancing merrily over the rockers,
>but I don't think that's the case. I do see add'l oil coming out  the back of
>the rocker cover, tho.I've heard the same from other 6 owners also. Still,
>more
>oil up top can't hurt IMO.

I have not looked in the rocker cover while the engine is running, but, if
the initial leak that I had is any indication (almost one litre per minute
was squirting out of the joint), a fair amount of additional oil is being
pumped into the head.

As for other leaks, we will just have to wait patiently for Justin Wagner's
new six cylinder rocker cover gasket (hint).

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U