Re: Disappointed

To: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Disappointed
From: SUCHAK <suchak@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 09:09:20 -0500
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Bob Danielson wrote:

> I've been on the list since October and have noticed a disturbing trend. I'm
> not sure if it's like the old High School clique....... only acknowledge the
> "in crowd"...ignore the rest, but the only questions that seem to get
> answered are the "heavy technical" and the "cute" ones. Basic questions
> about, say,  interior renovation help are usually ignored (maybe answered
> directly but not posted to the list....

Huh?!?  Did you miss the two week conversation about dash
re-veneering?!?!  Or the week long thread on which gauges went in which
holes on early TR3's or something?!?!  How about the innumerable
postings on the relative quality and fit of various vendors carpet and
seat kits?!?!?  What about the great Painted Hood Support Stick War of
early '98?!?!?   :^)

> hey there's nothing fancy about
> redoing your interior) while questions about oxygen sensors (serious) and
> vanity plates (frivolous) are responded to in mass. I posted a very basic
> question about proper jack points for a floor jack at both the front and
> rear of a TR6. I was concerned that I could damage my car by doing something
> wrong. Aren't we supposed to be concerned about preserving these cars? Yes
> I'm a newbie at this. But what I didn't expect was that NO ONE would take
> the time to help and answer. I KNOW hundreds of you can answer this question
> but no one bothered.

I suspect it's more a matter of assuming that:
A) Someone else had already answered your question, *hopefully*
privately so that the rest of us dont have to download twenty messages
that say "Use the danged frame rail!".  Or,
B) You could probably figure it out on your own with a flashlight and a
few minutes of deep thought...
Your suggestion that no one on the list "bothers" to help one another is
astounding!  I've seen Dan Masters write a thousand words on electrical
theory to help someone understand something better, I've seen Joe Curry
post a response to a question within three minutes of it's having been
posted.  I get an average of eighty to a hundred messages a day from
this list, so it can't be that no one's "bothering".  It seems to me
that the common thread in the "big response" category is that the
questions are interesting, amusing or challenging.  When I read a
question like "where do I place my jack?" I'm more apt to think to
myself "how about looking under the car!?!?" and go on to the next
hundred or so e-mails that I have to wade through daily.  No offense
intended, but the sheer quantity of posts on this list is a qualifier in
itself.

>I've posted other questions that have been met with
> similar (i.e. lack of) response. This is a letter I've wanted to post for
> while now but have been afraid of the backlash............. well. it's late
> here in Connecticut and I've had a couple of vodka tonics... we'll be
> getting up at 4:30 tomorrow morning to drive to Myrtle Beach for a week of
> golf (any golf questions will be gladly answered by this 6 handicapper), and
> I figured I'd go out with a bang. I will continue to lurk because the list
> is a wealth of info...... but I'll be very hesitant to post another
> question.

Put down the booze and think about what this list is supposed to be all
about, and that is simply a forum for discussion about a common
interest.  There is no "in-crowd", only those who are more active than
others.  To choose *not* to participate simply because others choose to
participate more seems counter-productive.  Why not make a positive
choice and become *more* active instead of withdrawing???  You have an
entire TR6 reference library sitting in your garage, and a head full of
experiences that no one else here has had.  This is a two way street
Bob, it doesnt work if we all sit on the curb and wait for a ride.

> A very disillusioned

Disillusioned is a bad thing?  You prefer "illusioned"?

> Bob Danielson
> 75 TR6 - Current status at:
> http://pages.cthome.net/BobD

BTW, I looked at your page, nice car!!!