Re: Disappointed

To: Bob Danielson <rdaniels@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Disappointed
From: msecres@ibm.net
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:05:13 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Danielson wrote:

> I've been on the list since October and have noticed a disturbing trend. I'm
> not sure if it's like the old High School clique....... only acknowledge the
> "in crowd"...ignore the rest, but the only questions that seem to get
> answered are the "heavy technical" and the "cute" ones. Basic questions
> about, say,  interior renovation help are usually ignored (maybe answered
> directly but not posted to the list.... hey there's nothing fancy about
> redoing your interior) while questions about oxygen sensors (serious) and
> vanity plates (frivolous) are responded to in mass. I posted a very basic
> question about proper jack points for a floor jack at both the front and
> rear of a TR6. I was concerned that I could damage my car by doing something
> wrong. Aren't we supposed to be concerned about preserving these cars? Yes
> I'm a newbie at this. But what I didn't expect was that NO ONE would take
> the time to help and answer. I KNOW hundreds of you can answer this question
> but no one bothered. I've posted other questions that have been met with
> similar (i.e. lack of) response. This is a letter I've wanted to post for
> while now but have been afraid of the backlash............. well. it's late
> here in Connecticut and I've had a couple of vodka tonics... we'll be
> getting up at 4:30 tomorrow morning to drive to Myrtle Beach for a week of
> golf (any golf questions will be gladly answered by this 6 handicapper), and
> I figured I'd go out with a bang. I will continue to lurk because the list
> is a wealth of info...... but I'll be very hesitant to post another
> question.
> A very disillusioned
> Bob Danielson
> 75 TR6 - Current status at:
> http://pages.cthome.net/BobD

Bob ...

I wouldn't take it too personally.  People are probably afraid to answer
this, or presume that someone else did.  Here's my two cents.  To raise
the front or back of my Spitfire and GT6 (I know the TR6 is heavier than
the Spit, and probably the GT), I put the jack in the center of the
corresponding frame cross member, raise it only as high as necessary,
and then lower the car onto stands on the frame.  I don't know that this
is "preferred," but I'm sure not gonna jack the car up one side at a
time.   When jacking up the rear, I make sure to place the jack on the
frame only, and not let it catch on the differential.  Wouldn't want to
hang the car on that!

--
Martin Secrest
73 GT6