Re: Oxygen sensors

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Oxygen sensors
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 16:07:09 -0800
Cc: bschwartz@encad.com
Thanks to many of the replies, from Charlie B., Trevor B. Malcom, just to
name a few, I found out (A) I wasn't thinking straight (nothing new there,
the sensor *generates* the voltage, so is self powered so to speak) and (2)
the reading oscillates between the min and max, swaying closer to one side
or the other depending on what the mixture is.  As mentioned, by Malcom W.,
and as I was thinking on my way home, the temp and fuel gauges in our
Triumphs use a voltage similar to this via the voltage stabilizer (pulsed
d.c) albeit a little higher.  It may be possible to use an amplifier
(relatively inexpensive power op-amp) to boost the voltage to something the
gauges could read, and then I could calibrate the scale (on an old
crappy-looking gauge of course) to read in rich-optimum-lean.  I realize
this would probably only be good for steady state readings because the
gauge is rather slow to react, but that's all I'm really looking for
anyway, as full throttle runs are fairly easy to tell weather rich or lean.
- Hummm another project!!

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)