Re: tonneau cover

To: peterz@merak.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tonneau cover
From: DSpoff2660 <DSpoff2660@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:41:27 EST
Peter,

I guess by now you have heard all you need to know but I rarely have an
opportunity to help I couldn't pass it up.

I bought my tonneau cover 3 years ago and it was one of the better investments
for the car.  I have hardly ever had the top up since (in the summer anyway).
I love having the passanger side covered while driving, it makes a nice extra
storage area other than the trunk and I feel better having it covered.  I too
wondered why there was a strap on the passanger side (there was no male button
on the seat frame and saw no way to put one on even when recovering my seats).
But I must tell you I have found no need for it anyway.  Even on my trips from
VT to MA or Conn, 3 to 5 hours going 70 and above, there has been minimal
"flapping".  I don't know if this is due to the fact that I fitted all of the
buttons myself providing for a tight seal and being only 3 years old.  Who
knows?  I guess it couldn't hurt.

One thing to remember though.  I have had it rain quite heavily overnight with
the tonneau on, leaving large puddles on both the driver and passanger side
stretching the cover quite a bit.  Also everything was dry in the cabin until
I foolishly unzipped it letting in a waterfall (my idiot story).  Now I just
make sure to lift up the middle of the cover to get the water off and then
wipe it down before folding it behind the seat.

I hope you enjoy your tonneau as much as I have.  Just be careful where you
park it.   I went out one morning, after it rained, to find my cover sliced on
the driver's side and a small lake in my seat.  This was on a street in a
small college town in Vermont, I certainly didn't expect it.  It's a shame
when some people feel they have to harm things of beauty.  But don't let my
lack of faith deter you from using your cover as much as possible.

Thanks.

Doug
75 TR6