tonneau cover

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tonneau cover
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 11:06:46 -0700
Listers,

I have just acquired an OEM tonneau for my TR6. Having never owned one
of these in my 16 years of TR6 ownership, I confess to being puzzled by
a couple of things. Perhaps the more "tonneau aware" listers can educate
me...

1. My "hood cover" has four snaps on it to attach the loose ends to the
side panels (2 snaps) and the fuel tank cover (the other 2 snaps) which
provides a really clean look when the roof is down and prevents the
loose ends of the hood cover from flapping around at speed. I see no
similar provision for the tonneau. How does the tonneau stay in place
when either half of it to all of it is peeled back?

2. The tonneau has a strap attached to the passenger side of the split
portion (where the zipper is) with a "lift the dot" female connector on
the end. I have the male lift the dot connector which I bought from TRF
some time ago. However I have no clue as to where the male connector
(the stud) is supposed to attach. I know it is somewhere on the
passenger seat frame but the TRF catalog does not give a precise
location and I have not seen (or rather noticed) this on other TR6s.
Anyone care to explain the location? Also, as the seat is likely to move
back and forth depending on who is sitting in it, would it make sense to
mount the stud to the gearbox tunnel instead? (The strap is definitely
set up for mounting to the seat though).

3. What is the correct sequence of steps to install & remove the
tonneau? The manual does not explain this at all. Do the snaps at the
back go on first and then the cover is stretched over the lift the dot
pegs on the dash cover? Or vice versa? When removing, is the zipper
undone first and then the pegs? Help!!!

4. Any listers with 76 TR6s which had tonneau covers from new, do your
cars have the lift the dot peg in the seat? (I assume the strap is to
stabilize the cover while only half is peeled back when driving).

Thanks for any advice/help/etc.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada