re: camber on Spitfire/Vitesse

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: camber on Spitfire/Vitesse
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@nuera.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:55:38 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8855808291alinkens@fargo>
James wrote:

> I read in a magasine that spitfires respond well
> to having the camber reset from factory spec to 0
> degrees.  It is surposed to grip the road much
> better.  Would there be any adverce effects if
> I were to do this.  What makes me ask is if
> this is were true why did the boffins at the factory
> set the camber at plus 3 deg.
>
> Anyone any ideas, or even done it.  It is minus one
> degree for each shim you remove on the lower wish-bone?
>
> --
> James Carpenter
> Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot

>Not exactly.  More like 2-3 shims per degree.  Get about 10 or so and
>keep going until you hit zero.  Handling should improve, tire wear goes
>down.  Go figure.

>Martin Secrest
>74 Spitfire
>73 GT6
>Arlington, VA

I modified the camber on my Vitesse using shims supplied by Triumphtune in
England. I also fitted uprated springs/dampers and 5 and 1/2 J steel wheels
(with original pressing) with 175/70 radials.
The handling is great BUT the steering now is really heavy and I wonder how
much extra stress is placed on the vertical links and trunnions - I try not to
think too much about that as I corner hard!
I've never had the camber checked but I think that it's actually slightly
negative - which may be a problem. Anybody with expert knowledge on that ??-
also can I check the camber myself or do special tools need to be used??
I used the existing mount packed out with shims but if more shims are used then
a special mount with a longer bolt has to be made up,

hope that is of interest
Andy
Mk1 Vitesse
MkII 2500S Estate