Re: tonneau cover

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: Re: tonneau cover
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 98 10:23:47 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Peter,

        You ask some pretty good questions about the tonneau, I'll
do what I can to help.

        I love using the tonneau, and have been using it constantly
for the past 6 years (except when I drive with Pam, and the one time I
put the hood up).  In the mild San Diego winters, its makes winter
driving very pleasant, and does a very good job at keeping out the
rain.  The first drive was a little weird, but now I dont like to
drive with out it (even in the heat of summer, it seems to keep the
cabin cooler).

        I have a roll bar, so my tonneau was modified to suit by
cutting in some holes and slices so the tonneau can moulded around
the bar's downtubes, and then the flaps are held together with velcro strips.

        Adding/removing the tonneau is not difficult.  I start at the back
and leave the front mounts till last, and then I zip it up.  Removal
is the reverse.  What ever works best for you, I suppose.  When I
drive with my side open (or the passengers side open), I just roll
up the appropriate half and poke it behind the seat.

        As for the strap with the "lift the dot" snap, I have no idea
what it is for.  I have searched the gearbox tunnel and floor for a male
connector with no luck.  I have reason to believe that my tonneau is
original, as the BMHT certificate says that a tonneau was supplied
with the car.

        If you do find out what the strap is for, please let me know!

        Shane Ingate in San Diego