Re: Spit speakers

To: msecres@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Spit speakers
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 20:34:38 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Joe Curry <curry@wolfenet.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 msecres@ibm.net wrote:

> As for fitting covers to the backs of the speakers, Joe, I believe this would
>only
> reduce their effiency.  Speaker cones vibrate on two sides -- the front and
>the back.
> Enclosing the back is fine, as long as your create a port on the front
>mounting surface
> so as to relieve the back pressure -- i.e., "sound" -- coming from the
>backside of the
> speaker cone.

I know you can get foam rubber surrounds to cover the back of a speaker.
The primary purpose of it is to protect the speaker from water.

The front 4" speakers on my TR4 did not have any protection from the
elements.  One element, mainly water, was able to dribble onto the back of
this 'weatherproof' speaker (via the vent drain thing).  When I removed
the speaker to take a look at the rust in the rocker panel, the metal cage
crumbled.

I have replaced the speakers (almost...) with a pair of Memorex
water-resists, out of some bookshelf units.  They will be in a sealed box,
I'm going to whip one up out of spare plastic, silicone, etc. so that it's
got the same volume of air behind it.

> More to the point -- it don't hardly make no damn difference when you driving
>with the
> top down, the tailpipe blaring, and the rattles rattlin'.

S'true!  I have an ok stereo in my commuter, but I don't usually have it
on because I need to listen to the engine... it's doesn't usually give me
much warning before a break down, so I gotta use every advantage I can.

-Malcolm