Re: Spit speakers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit speakers
From: Robert Verde <Robert_Verde@pgn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:32:52 -0800
I have been following this thread with some interest, since I was just going
through some of the same problems with my non-LBC (Honda).

I picked up a high performance automotive stereo book at my local Baxter Auto
Parts (local to Oregon, anyway, but I've seen the books other places).  Good
book, and although it covers highly amplified competition audio systems, it
also covers theory and how-to on speaker installations.

The discussion on the list seems to be missing the point slightly.  If the goal
is weatherp[roofing speakers, then there are ways to do that.  However, the
thread of covers (on the backs) affecting sound is off track.

Speakers either work as infinite baffle, where the sound from the back of the
cone is blocked from interfering with the sound waves from the front by a large
baffle such as a door skin or rear deck sheetmetal, or they work as enclosed
speakers.  It is easier to get powerful bass from an enclosed speaker, as it
takes less energy to get lower frequencies.  If you wish to tune for a specific
lower frequency, then you can have a ported enclosure, designed to reinforce
the bass frequencies from the front of the diaphragm/cone with sound pressure
from the rear of the cone.

I priced speakers at several auto sound shops, and most places I spoke with
needed info on application, as they could provide speakers designed
specifically for infinite baffle or boxed enclosures.  If you wish to have
enclosed speakers for weatherproofing reasons, then I would suggest looking for
speakers built for an enclosure, and check the recommended box size (cubic foot
measure) for the speaker before building a box.

This is all a simplified (over- ?) explanation of auto sound, as I understand
the technology.  I am sure that other people on the list have more experience,
mine is just from my project.  One last thing I would certainly recommend
though, amplification is important.  Having a good amplifier will help most
speakers sound better, even at low volume.

Just my two cents worth, and if others on the list have done speaker projects I
would be interested in tips.  Anyone put a system in a Mini?

Robert

Robert Verde
robert_verde@pgn.com
503-464-3504