Re: Spit speakers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit speakers
From: hobrien@webos1.com (Will O'Brien)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:13:53 -0600
I'm not going to argue speaker theory on a thread, it'll take too long.  In
truth, ported cabinets require MORE volume for the correct effect.  When
you're dealing with a single chamber ported box.  The problem with arguing
about this stuff is that it all depends on what setup you are talking
about.  There are single sealed boxes, single vented boxes, double chamber
single port boxes.  Double chamber double ported boxes.... etc.  The
acoutic differences in each situation are great.  The real goal is
resonance.  Those little parts on your speakers are more for tuning the air
flow than anything else.  The speakers in my laptop have them too...  Then
you're talking about different speakers all together.  If you have nice
computer speakers, they are probably servo based rather than magnetic coil
based.  There are really too many variables to make a decent frame of
reference.  Whoever wants to know...  Go buy a book.  Try the 'Loudspeaker
cookbook'  It's nice and easy to understand.
Peace.

Will

Will O'Brien
OS Design & Consulting