Re: Spit speakers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit speakers
From: hobrien@webos1.com (Will O'Brien)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 22:11:37 -0600
>Joe Curry wrote:
>>
>> Julian,
>> I have two oval 8" dual coaxial speakers mounted on that removable panel
>>behind the
>> seats on my '63 Spit.  The aftermarket panel is strong enough to support
>>the weight
>> of the panels with no noticable effect.  The sound is adequate,
>>considering that
>> the Spit is noisy on its own and the speakers have to compete with the Monza
>> Exhaust system.  However, It seems to be the only logical space to mount the
>> speakers and get proper separation.
>>
>> If it is a problem with sound bleeding out the back and around the
>>edges, you can
>> install covers behind the speakers to trap the sound.  I would fabricate
>>them out
>> of some kind of heavy cardboard and line with foam rubber.
>>
>> BTW, I don't have the details of your Spit for the International
>>Spitfire database
>> I am compiling.  Please provide the following.
>>
>> Year
>> Model
>> Color
>> Commission Number
>> Owner
>> Location (City, County, Country)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Joe Curry
>>
>> J.Daley wrote:
>>
>> > I've just got a new radio/cassette for my Spit 1500 and am trying to
>> > optimise the position of the speakers.  At the moment I have 2 speakers
>> > in the rear panel behind the seats.  This is not ideal, as far as I can
>> > see, for at least two reasons
>> >
>> > 1.  The panel is very flimsy.
>> > 2.  The panel is not well sealed so that sound from the rear of the
>> > speaker can leak round the edges.
>> >
>> > So from a theoretical point of view this setup should sound pretty bad,
>> > although it may be that if the leaks are small compared to the volume of
>> > the boot (of course the petrol tank is in the way) this problem is a
>> > small one.  Has anyone got any practical experience ?  Would reinforcing
>> > the panel with some plywood or something make much difference ?
>> >
>> > I'd also like to put a pair of speakers in the doors, but looking at
>> > it, it looks like there is very little room.  Again, has anyone played
>> > around with door speakers ?
>> >
>> > I'm not looking for the ultimate in high fidelity, just something that
>> > doesn't sound too offensive.
>> >
>> > Julian.
>> >
>> > [Third attempt - Does majordomo reject mail if the From: field doesn't
>> > match a subscriber to the list ?  I usually send mail from a different
>> > account to the place I read mail, so that may be the problem.]
>> >
>>__________________________________________________________________________
>>_____
>> >                 Julian Daley, Dept Phonetics, University College London
>> > _______________________________ j.daley@ucl.ac.uk
>>_____________________________
>>
>> --
> [...]
Martin,
        I hate to burst your bubble.  There are actually two kinds of
enclosures.  One is a sealed enclosure.  This type performs better through
the entire range of sound, while a ported or vented enclosure allows a
speaker to perform better in the lower ranges.  Did you ever notice on
decent speakers at the store, the three way speakers that have a tweeter,
midrange, and woofer will usually have a port, while the smaller two way
enclosures are usually sealed.(On the decent ones)  The two way boxes have
a full range speaker as well as a tweeter to create the sounds in the
higher ranges.

Will

Will O'Brien
OS Design & Consulting