Re: TR6 windscreen frame removal

To: joeiv@concentric.net, adixon@loudoun.com
Subject: Re: TR6 windscreen frame removal
From: John Duhart <DUHART@symbol.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:23:27 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, DUHART@symbol.com

>>> Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net> 01/19 8:38 PM >>>
On 01/19/98 02:35 PM John Duhart said...

               ~edited~
 ~and JHD IV is edtting more~

>   John,

   I don't know about the mastic, but on my TR 250 the right stud was rusted in.
Quite badly.  I  also took the route of "putting the nut back on and hitting the
bolts under the dash"  I didn't break the windscreen ( because it was already
out), but I did mangle the stud end so much, that I had to cut it off, drill,
tap, and
reinstall a new one in.
  One thing I did that helped the most was to get a small cut-off wheel in there
to cut a length wise slot into the bracket.  I then pried open the slot, and the
frame slowly moved up& out.  I luckily only had one side stuck bad enough
to need this repair, as it was very difficult working upside down in the cramped
space available.  I then had to find a used bracket, since new cost $35. (the
used
one cost $5)
  Most likely your car won't be this rusted.  My car had a water leak at the
windscreen frame/ body seal that allowed water to trickle onto this bracket.
The other side (left) was semi stuck because it seemed like the paint was wet
when the w/frame was slid into the bracket, and they dried together.
  I am just telling you this to show it may be a problem.  Just rember to take
your
time & and make sure you have loosened BOTH bolts at the top.

       Good Luck,

                                        JOE IV
                                        TR 250
                              WALLINGFORD, CT USA

The above post from Joe and a post from Justin Wagner best describe my current
situation.  To all those who only had to loosen some bolt to remove the
windscreen frame consider yourself luckly.  My brackets are rusted to the
windscreen frame studs.  Last night I was able to get one to turn around on the
stud.  By doing this I can now get the windscreen frame to raise enough to
slide the new dashtop under it.  The other bracket is stuck on.  If I ever need
to remove it I will us the dremel tool to cut a slot in it.

Thanks,
JHD IV